Monday, July 09, 2007

Me and a Recipe

I have been tagged for a meme by Tara at Should You Eat That. I have to post 8 random facts about myself. I've never been tagged for anything before. So it's quite exciting. Thanks Tara.

On the other hand, given the amount of time it's taken me to think of eight 'interesting' facts (I use the term advisedly) I'm not convinced that anyone else will find it all that fascinating. So to entice you to read and keep reading I have laid a trail of photos, Hansel and Gretel like, to a delicious and highly recommended recipe at the end.

So here we go.

1. I am a bit of a fussy eater. Probably not what you expect from someone with a food blog. I flat out do not like seafood, olives, walnuts, capsicum, brussel sprouts, fruit cake, honey or celery. It’s all my Dad’s fault. He refuses to even allow beetroot in the house. My sister is even pickier than both of us. My poor Mum will eat anything. Every Christmas she makes a fruit cake and folornly begs all my aunts and uncles to help her eat it.

2. I have never won a raffle prize in my life. I must have bought a million tickets.




3. I once almost walked into an elephant because I didn’t know it was there. I was walking along a path by the Zambezi River at Victoria Falls. I was on my own and got more and more freaked out by all the warning signs for crocodiles. I stopped, thought for a few minutes and turned around to go back when there was all this rustling off to my right. I spun around and there was an elephant standing only about 2 metres away. My eyes had been pinned on the river and I had been totally oblivious to everything else. Once I stopped hyperventilating I beat it out of there.

4. I always wanted to call our family pets Narelle. My Dad always voted for Fred. My Mum usually won.




5. In my travels I have found myself sleeping in some odd places. I once spent a night on a remote part of the Great Wall of China. We set off at dusk and walked along the wall until we found a nice flat spot. We woke up to watch the sunrise over hills and vallies with the wall looping around in front of us. It was magical. I once spent the night in an ancient roman amphitheatre in Bosra in Syria. You pay a fee and at 11pm the doors are locked and you can settle down to sleep anywhere you want. I chose the middle of the stage. The best place though was in an ancient fort in the middle of the desert in northern Syria. The walls of the fort were made out of a kind of pink quartz stone. At sunset the stones began to sparkle and looked like they were made of pink glitter. I slept on the floor of a ruined tenth centry church in amongst all these broken pillars staring up at a million stars.

6. Mosquitos do not like me. At barbecues I sit perfectly immune while all my friends get eaten alive.




7. I have never owned a mobile phone.

8. My favourite TV shows are British comedies. I love One Foot in the Grave, Red Dwarf, The Royle Family, Only Fools and Horses, Porridge, Allo Allo. I could go on.

Congratulations you made it!!!!

Sticky Pineapple Coconut Cake
(adapted from Marie Clare Kitchen)

Put 350g of caster sugar, 250ml of coconut milk, 175g of dessicated coconut that has been toasted, 280g of diced fresh pineapple and 4 eggs into a large bowl. Stir together. Fold in 250g of sifted plain flour and 2 tspn of baking powder.

Spoon into greased and lined 24cm springform tin. Bake in 180C oven for 1 hour. Turn out to cool.

Work 1 tbspn of butter into 125g of sifted icing sugar. Slowly add 2 tbspn of lime juice. The icing should be smooth and runny. Drizzle over the cooled cake.

I'm supposed to tag other people. I've only managed five so far. I will update.

Pinky at The Poison Doughnut
Lydia at My Kitchen
Cherrie Pie at Sweet Cherrie Pie
Dharm at Dad-Baker&Chef
Steph at A Whisk and a Spoon

10 Comments:

At 12:06 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, that slice of cake has just hypnotized me. :)

 
At 2:09 am, Blogger Deborah said...

Wow - I loved hearing about all of the different places you have slept across the world. What amazing experiences!!

Love the cake, too!

 
At 8:01 pm, Blogger picky med student said...

I'm also a bit of a fussy eater, but I might try to do this cake. Itlook sooo delicious!

 
At 4:23 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

LOL about the elephant! and your cake looks wonderful :)

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger Tara said...

Thanks for answering my meme. You sure have slept in some wonderful places! And wow about never owning a mobile phone. I only know one person who refused to buy a mobile phone - he said it was just a crazy fad and he wasn't going to sell out, he gave in about a year ago and he is the most stubborn person I know. lol.

 
At 8:26 pm, Blogger Ali-K said...

Thanks KJ, your random facts about yourself were very entertaining!

 
At 5:51 pm, Blogger Peabody said...

Sleeping in the ancient roman amphitheatre must have been so cool.

 
At 11:05 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, I hope you snapped out of it okay. LOL.

Hi Deborah, thanks. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hi Picky, if you do try it, I'd love to hear how it went.

Hi Kelly-Jane, thanks.

Hi Tara. I probably am stubborn.
But I just cannot see that I need one.

Hi Ali-K, thanks.

Hi Peabody. It was fantastic. There was an amazing atmosphere. It was very windy though. So it wasn't the most restful night's sleep.

 
At 1:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KJ--I've never been tagged before, either. Thanks! It'll take me a couple of days to come up with 8 things though! And your pineapple coconut cake looks insanely good, BTW.

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Pinky said...

Kewl. Thanks KJ... It still totally wigs me out that anyone actually reads The Poison Doughnut! Can't wait to do my 8 things. Yay. (btw, I hate fruit cake too!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet