Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Challenge Book #9 - Pot Roasted Quinces



So here we are at the end of the quince road. I have just one more quince recipe to share. Hang tough people! These are pot roasted quinces - quite spectacular - no? They are more pot poached quinces than anything else, but hey, let's not get picky here.

The idea is to poach small quinces whole and then leave them to set in their own jelly. How cool is that?!



My jelly was very soft. I put this down to not boiling the quinces for long enough at the very beginning of the recipe. Never mind, they were still delicious. And spectacular, did I mention that?



They were really incredibly easy to make. It's hard to see how they could go wrong. Except for, you know, the jelly not setting properly.



Here we are at Challenge Book #9 - Maggie's Harvest.


This is the first recipe I have made from this book. In typical Maggie Beer fashion it's packed with no nonsense home style recipes all of which sound absolutely delicious. I often just sit and read through it - drooling.

Pot Roasted Quinces
(adapted from Maggie's Harvest)

6 small-medium sized quinces
4 cups sugar
1.5 litres water
juice of 3 lemons

Rub down and wash the quinces well. Pack them tightly into a heavy based saucepan. Add the sugar and water.

Boil at a reasonably high temperature until a jelly starts to form, then reduce heat and simmer for up to 5 hours. If necessary, weigh the quinces down under a small plate in order to keep the quinces under the syrup. Turn the quinces often, 4-5 times, to ensue that they are cooked evenly.

Add the lemon juice at the very last stage.

Serve whole or sliced with cream or custard.

13 Comments:

At 5:13 pm, Blogger www.ifoods.tv said...

Hi there

I just stumbled accross your blog through stumbleupon and love the clean design and the photos. I already have about 20 blogs in my RSS so don't normally stop and read them as already have more than i can read but the design here caught my eye! I started off as a blogger myself a year ago and like your blog always wanted to keep it fresh and clean and easy to read. I have started my own site for food bloggers, chefs and foodies in general to meet and share photos called www.ifoods.tv and would love to see some of your photos there. I set it up because I was frustrated that not enough people were seeing what I thought was my excellent blog and I afelt that every blogger in the world probably thought the same! It is basically a platform for bloggers to show off their photos and meet other foodies. Keep up the good work on the blog, have added you to make it 21 food blogs no! Cheers!

 
At 6:25 pm, Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

this looks so awesome, I am sure it must be delicious!

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger grace said...

set jelly or not, they do look sensational. i'll bet they just explode with flavor. mmm...all hail the quince. :)

 
At 7:50 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

They look beautiful, such a lovely colour!

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger Squishy said...

Maggies book is wonderful. I use it all the time. I wouldn't worry about your jelly not setting. It looks great and I am sure it tastes fantastic. Well done.

 
At 11:06 pm, Blogger aforkfulofspaghetti said...

How I wish it was quince season here - you're making me quite envious!

 
At 12:38 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These recipes make us all want to go out and find some quince(s).

 
At 1:43 am, Blogger Deborah said...

What a gorgeous dish!!

 
At 4:24 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, you've gotten me more and more curious about quince! The recipes you've posted look amazing.

 
At 6:45 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

Oh my, my, my, I am drooling here :)

 
At 7:43 pm, Blogger Cottage Smallholder said...

Oh KJ

These photos are superb! I am so envious - quinces will not be around for ages in the UK but now I have a host of new recipes to try when they do come into season.

Thank you so much.

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Thanks everyone. I am glad you liked my quinces.

 
At 7:53 am, Blogger hungryandfrozen said...

They look beautiful - I love the deep pink colour that quinces become. I've made a similar recipe of Nigella's which, come to think of it, she borrowed from Maggie Beer - could be the same one. I've been coveting that book for ages, it looks so gorgeous - am just waiting for it to fall in price a bit...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet