Friday, June 27, 2008

Challenge Book #17 - Lovely Lemon Curdy Pud (cue eyeroll)



Jamie Oliver calls this 'A Lovely Lemon Curdy Pud'. Hrmmmph. Whatev Jamie. This is a Lemon Delicious Pudding or my name is Morag McSpuckleduck.

I know this because I have eaten hundreds of them. My Aunty is the best delicious pudding makers in the world. Her orange delicious pudding is to DIE FOR.

Now I am a Jamie Oliver fan, but I consider this to be a major failing of his - the tendency to give ridiculously twee or horribly gushing names to dishes. 'A Rather Pleasing Carrot Cake' anyone? Or how about some 'Bloomin' Easy Vanilla Cheesecake'? Would you prefer the 'Superb Sweet and Sour Squash' or the 'Incredible Boiled Butternut Squash'? Gaaaah!!!!



Petty grumblings aside, Lemon Delicious is a simple and lovely pudding. It's decidely old fashioned and has been enjoyed by many generations of my family.

A lemon curd custard settles on the bottom while a spongey cakey layer sets on the top. It should be served just warm. It has a delicious citrus tang which contrasts beautifully with some sweetened thick cream.

It's dead easy to make. I added a bit more lemon juice, as the pudding seemed a bit bland and I like it with a fair bit of lemony pep. I think just adding lemon juice to taste is the way to go.



This pudding is from Challenge Book #17 in the KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge - Happy Days with the Naked Chef. I have used this book quite extensively. I can thoroughly recommend the steak and guiness pie, the pineapple with mint sugar and the summer fruit jellies. Avoid the the honey and banana bread at all costs, unless you really like chewing on hockey pucks.

Lovely Lemon Curdy Pud
(adapted from Happy Days with the Naked Chef)

55gm butter
115gm sugar
1 lemon, grated rind and 3 tbspn juice
2 large eggs, separated
55gm self raising flour
285ml milk

Cream the butter, sugar and lemon rind. Beat in the egg yolks and flour. Then add the flour and lemon juice.

Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Gently mix into the lemon batter. Pour into a buttered dish. Place in a roasting tray about a third full of water.

Bake in a 200C oven for about 45 minutes. The top should be set and cake like and golden brown.

9 Comments:

At 2:10 pm, Blogger Elle said...

This sounds like my kind of pudding...love the lemon tang...and I stopped reading Jamie Oliver cookbooks because they were just too cute or twee or something to take. I'll take the recipe, though.
BTW, I've tagged you for a meme...hope you'll play along.

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I love his recipes, KJ, but I have to agree with you - too much ado for nothing. :)
I have a recipe for lemon delicious by Bill Granger and I have been dying to try it. Tks for the inspiration!

 
At 2:51 am, Blogger Deborah said...

Can you believe I've never had a pudding like this before?? I need to branch out and try it!

 
At 7:34 am, Blogger coffee and queso said...

ooh yummy. where i come from, pudding is cold and creamy and gelatinous! (ha) this sounds so much more interesting and satisfying. now to figure out how to convert from grams...

 
At 8:11 am, Blogger grace said...

i'm sorry, morag mcspuckleduck? what a terrific, terrific name--it shall be my new alias. if you ever hear of morag mcspuckleduck robbing a bank, don't tell anyone it was actually me, okay?

meanwhile, stellar dessert. jamie oliver may be a silly man, but he makes some darn good eats.

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger Laura said...

I don't think I have had anything like this before either and oh my I think I need to.

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger Ketutar said...

"Avoid the the honey and banana bread at all costs, unless you really like chewing on hockey pucks."
Do you let it prove long enough? I had no problems with this, but when I learned to bake bread, I often got hard, tight, wet and chewy bread - until someone told me to let it prove longer. 1/2 hour is sometimes too little.

 
At 9:54 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Elle, I wish he would tone it down just a tad.

Hi Patricia, I hope you like it. Bill Granger has some great recipes.

Hi Deborah, oh do! If you like lemon you will like this.

Hi Mindy, in Australia it's the opposite. Pudding is warm and usually involves custard.

Hi Grace, your secret will be safe with me. LOL!

Hi Laura, it's a great dessert.

Hi Ketutar, I left the dough to rise for hours. It barely moved. I've heard from other people of similar bad results for this recipe.

 
At 5:02 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Morag McSpuckleduck, my Gran called this Lemon Delicious, also the slower your oven the more this dessert appears to increase/rise.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet