Monday, September 08, 2008

Challenge Book #25 - Zucchini Slice

Today's post is being brought to you from a very prestigious location - the National Library of Australia. This is one of my favourite places. It's a quiet and comfy place to just sit and read papers and journals from all over the world or just have a bit of a think. There are always interesting exhibits and I just love the thought of all that fascinating history tucked away in the archives - everything from Captain Cook's Endeavour Journal to junk mail (collected as Australian ephemera).

I'm not sure that the recipe quite lives up to this auspiciousness (if it's not a word it should be!). Zucchini slice is a very everday budget kind of dish. It was a very regular feature of my student and early working life when money was tight and cooking was less than a priority. But I still make it every now and then because it is just so damn tasty.

It's basically a crustless quiche/omelette kind of a dish. Light and fluffy egg studded with zucchini, bacon, onion and cheese. It's generally served with a green salad. Just delicious. It takes no time at all to make. Which makes it perfect for those annoying middle of the week dinners when you just do not want to bother. I don't know about you, but by the time it gets to about Wednesday night I am looking for the easiest of easy options.



I have long lost my old student recipe for this dish, so I now rely on my Mum's recipe which was printed in the Care for Kids Easy Meals Cookbook - a charity fundraiser for the local hospital dating from about fifteen years ago. Which is by the way, Challenge Book #25 in the KJ Wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge (sorry I don't have a photo for this one). This a pretty universal recipe here in Australia - demonstrated by the fact that there are three versions of it in this cookbook alone. Variations include adding red capsicum, grated carrot or french onion soup mix.

Zucchini Slice
(adapted from Care for Kids Easy Meals Cookbook)

5 eggs
1/2 cup oil
1 cup self raising flour
1 cup grated cheese
1/2 cup diced bacon
1 grated onion
400gm grated zucchini

Mix all the ingredients together. Pour into a well buttered pie or quiche dish. Bake in a 180C oven for about 50 minutes or until it is cooked through (a skewer should come out clean and it should be all puffed and golden). Leave to sit for 5-10 minutes before serving.

13 Comments:

At 3:09 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I love simple dishes with vegetables like this one, KJ - yum! I had such a lousy lunch a few minutes ago... I wish I could have had something delicious like this slice.

 
At 3:50 am, Blogger grace said...

all the colors in there make it look like confetti, which is just an added bonus. :)
great recipe, kj--nutritious and delicious. and cheap and easy. excellent. :)

 
At 3:53 am, Blogger Deborah said...

This sounds like a wonderful, comforting meal!

 
At 8:02 am, Blogger giz said...

I love the idea of a zucchini quiche - I wouldn't have thought of making it because I would have thought it would be watery but yours doesn't look watery at all.

 
At 8:05 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Hi KJ, this is yet another simple yet terrific recipe.

Hope your laptop is recovering speedily!

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I would add feta cheese perhaps to this dish:D

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger Veron said...

this looks great , KJ and healthy too!

 
At 3:09 am, Blogger Laura said...

Glad to see you are still posting. This looks awesome. What a nice crust you got on it!

 
At 12:59 pm, Blogger Brilynn said...

I tease my mom that whenever she ends up alone for dinner she resorts to making omelet. I'll have to pass along this recipe, it'll change up her regular omelet a little bit!

 
At 7:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great that you're back:)

Might try this recipe for my vegetable hater kids :)

 
At 7:21 am, Blogger Panza Llena said...

LOVE the way this looks...crazy about zucchini too. thanks for the recipe!

 
At 1:23 pm, Blogger Sara said...

This looks great, I eat a ton of zucchini in the summer.

 
At 5:36 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, I wish I could have shared it with you.

Hi Grace, I agree, this recipe is all kinds of good things.

Hi Giz, you can squeeze out the grated zucchini before adding it if you wish. But I have never found it to be a problem.

Hi Nora, unfortunately my laptop seems to be on the slow road to doomsville at the moment.

Hi Val, that would be a great addition.

Hi Veron, cheap and healthy, I always feel virtuous when eating it

Hi Laura, that's my favourite bit.

Hi Brilynn, I like this much better than plain omelette.

Hi Zita, the lure of bacon and cheese can overcome any vegetable content.

Hi Panza, you're welcome.

Hi Sara, zucchini is such a versatile vegetable. I eat a ton of it too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet