Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Chocolate almond buttercrunch toffee

It seems that where ever you look on the blogosphere these days you see a recipe by David Lebovitz. Usually an incredibly yummy ice cream recipe accompanied by rave reviews.

Naturally, I felt like I was really missing out so went along to his blog for a look see. And I found this.

Chocolate almond buttercrunch toffee to be exact. It looked way too good to resist. I love toffee, I love almonds and I love chocolate.

I whipped this up for a picnic with a group of friends. It was a big hit. The toffee was brittle and crispy providing a great contrast with the smooth chocolate. The almonds added a great nutty edge to the whole thing.

It was quick and easy to make. The only problem I had was in overcooking the toffee a little. It began to burn just as I got it to 300F that the recipe requires. I will cook with a lower heat next time. But it was fine tastewise. I also didn't have enough almonds to add the second layer on top of the chocolate. Again, I don't think it mattered much.

The recipe can be found here.

This is what I love about foodie blogs. They have opened up a whole new world of books and writers and recipes. Fantastic.

4 Comments:

At 3:15 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I LOVE toffee - I'm trying this out for sure!!

 
At 12:03 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

The word toffee makes me dream already, KJ - this looks so delicious!

 
At 3:45 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

I love toffee too, I can never decide if I like chocolate or toffee more!

This looks addictive! Mmmm :)

 
At 11:03 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah - If you do try it, I would love to hear what you think.

Hi Patricia - thanks.

Hi Kelly-Jane - I agree it's a tough choice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet