Saturday, March 08, 2008

Chocolate Toffee Oaty Slice

You may or may not recall that the theme for January's Sugar High Friday event was cooking with candy. I got all excited because I had the perfect recipe. I couldn't wait to make it and post it. So I raced out and bought a stash of these.



And then stuff happened. So they sat on the kitchen bench for a while. Then stuff happened, and they got relegated to the cupboard. And then gradually they got shoved to the very back behind the sauce bottles and old dregs of vinegar. It's a bit of a metaphhor for life really.

So anyway, I stumbled across these good intentions again last week and decided the time had finally come. This is the end result - chocolate toffee oaty slice.


Unless someone told you, you probably wouldn't know that there are mars bars in there. The filling is deeply chocolately with a lovely mouthcoating gooeyness. There's an undercurrent of nougaty, caramelly, toffeeness. The oaty base and topping provide a lovely biscuity contrast. In other words, it's just really good.

I took it into work and it disappeared in short order. It always has, from the dozens of times I've made it.


I found this recipe on the BBC food chat board. It was posted by a very generous regular Sue L. I'm sure she she won't mind me posting it here. It's freely available on the BBC site.

Chocolate Toffee Oaty Slice
(adapted from BBC Food Board)

Line a 9x13 inch baking tin with paper.

225gm plain flour
110gm of oats
150gm light brown sugar
1/2 tspn bicarbonate soda
150gm of butter
1 egg, beaten

Blitz flour, oats, sugar and bicarbonate soda in a food processor for a few seconds. Add cubed butter and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Add the egg and process until the mix sticks together.

Press 3/4 of the mix into the base of the tin.

225gm dark chocolate

Melt the chocolate and pour over the dough base, leaving a small margin around the edges. Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened.

150ml double cream
4 chopped up mars bars

Bring cream to the boil and lower heat to a simmer. Add the mars bars and stir until melted. Whisk until the mix is creamy. Pour over the hardened chocolate and dough.

Crumble the remainder of the oat mix over the top.

Place on a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes in a 180C oven until golden. Allow to cool for two hours before cutting.

11 Comments:

At 2:10 am, Blogger Brilynn said...

I can't believe those mars bars lasted so long in your cupboard, I would have found them when I had one of my regular sweet tooth attacks and devoured them! I'm sure your coworkers are happy you didn't thosugh, the bars look great!

 
At 3:09 am, Blogger Deborah said...

What a perfect recipe!! They sound delicious!

 
At 12:14 am, Blogger test it comm said...

That looks so good! What a great way to use some Mars bars.

 
At 6:45 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Mars Bars are one of my favourite chocolate bars. My ultimate favourite though is the Dark Chocolate Mars Bar!!!!! These treats would be the ultimate!!

 
At 1:20 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

What an awesome idea for leftover candy, although they wouldn't have lasted that long in my house. If you come up with a recipe for leftover lollipops let me know.

 
At 4:38 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, that oozing chocolate is killing me! :)
What a wonderful idea - we don't have Mars Bars here, but there is something very similar I can use instead.

 
At 2:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

damn it! why don't we have mars bars here?

sulk.

 
At 7:48 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Brilynn, I'm not a fan of chocolate bars. When I eat chocolate I go for the really good stuff.

Hi Deborah, it's easy too.

Hi Kevin, thanks.

Hi Val, I've never tried a dark chocolate mars. I rarely eat them as is.

Hi Cheryl, I'll keep it in mind.

Hi Patricia, excellent!!

Hi Michelle, that's too bad. I thought mars bars had conquered the world!

 
At 3:12 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Toffee oaty, mmm, delicious!

 
At 12:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi KJ, I'm pleased to find this recipe written up somewhere online.

I think when it was discussed on the BBC message boards I had to be very careful about how the recipe was written up, as it wasn't one of my own original recipes, and I wouldn't want to claim it as such.

It was originally published in Sainsbury's 'The Magazine' in August 1996.

Sue-L

 
At 10:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You may , probably curious to know how one can make real money .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I began to take up income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I make 2G daily, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://asypuvat.ibnsites.com/izypygeq.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet