Friday, September 19, 2008

Cocoa Sesame Biscuits



This post is bought to you from warm, sunny Queensland where I am visiting my parents. It is so nice to be away from Canberra. There the weather is slowly creaking towards thinking about perhaps warming up a bit. Here it is actually warm. After so many months it is just heavenly to walk outside without bracing yourself for that initial blast of cold. Not to mention the feeling of actually being warm right to your bones. Such bliss!!!

A visit to my parents inevitably involves a slew of baking. This recipe caught my eye from among my Mum's moutain of cookbooks and recipes. I have never thought of trying sesame and chocolate together, so I was kind of intrigued by these biscuits.



As it turns out they are very nice. I won't lie and say they are my favourite biscuits ever. But they are actually quite good. There is one thing though, you can't really eat to many. Which is probably a good thing, right. Sesame seeds are quite rich and they are definitely a feature of these biscuits.

Cocoa Sesame Biscuits
(adapted from Biscuits and Slices Step by Step)

3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
3/4 cup rolled oats
3/4 cup sesame seeds
3/4 caster sugar
100gm unsalted butter
2 tbspn golden syrup*
1 tbspn boiling water
1 tspn bicarbonate soda
185gm chocolate melts, melted

Sift flour and cocoa together. Stir in the oats, seeds and sugar.

Combine the butter and syrup in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat until butter is melted.
Pour the boiling water into a small bowl and add the bicarbonate soda. Add to the butter syrup. Using a metal spoon fold the mixture into the dry ingredients. Stir until well combined.

Place level tablespoons of the mix onto a lined baking tray and flatten slightly. Bake for 12 minutes in a 160C oven. Leave to cool for five minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

Spread a teaspoon of melted chocolate onto each biscuit.
* This is an Australian recipe. 1 Australian tablespoon = 4 teaspoons. 1 US tablespoon = 3 teaspoons.

7 Comments:

At 3:20 am, Blogger Deborah said...

How fun to go and have time to bake with your mom! And these sound delcious!

 
At 11:56 pm, Blogger grace said...

what unique little treats! i'm fairly certain i've never tasted chocolate and sesame together, but i'm sure it's delightful. enjoy your time in queensland! :)

 
At 10:32 am, Blogger jasmine said...

What an interesting flavour combination. They lood so adorable.

j

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger Cynthia said...

Continue to enjoy the visit with your parents.

 
At 5:31 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

They do look great, KJ! And I have never tried sesame seeds in cookies - I think I would like these!

 
At 10:15 pm, Blogger julie said...

They look delicious, and interesting at any rate. They have started selling dark chocolate with sesame seeds here so I guess your cookies are soon to be trendy!

 
At 3:25 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah, I love baking with my Mum. She has so many cookbooks and recipes to browse through and chat about.

Hi Grace, it is surprisingly good.

Hi Jasmine, thanks.

Hi Cynthia, I am having a great time.

Hi Patricia, I was quite surprised that they turned out so well.

Hi Julie, it will the first time ever that I am before the trend!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet