Thursday, March 26, 2009

Baked Chocolate Fudge



In my recent post on Tiger Tea Cakes I talked about my lack of resistance to chocolate. And this got me thinking and thinking and thinking about chocolate. And all the good chocolaty things I had ever eaten. And then my mind recalled this baked fudge I had made a while back. And this got me thinking and thinking about this baked fudge. And next thing I am in the supermarket tossing unsalted butter and cream into my trolley. And woe and behold, there I am pulling a batch out of the oven. You can imagine the gory details of what followed.

If only I could off held for a few weeks I would have the exscuse of Easter. When you are more or less obliged to scoff down chocolate. But no, I am officially as weak as water. A slave to the little grey cells.



The thing about this baked fudge is that it is utterly decadent, delectable and deadly. Silky smooth, creamy, rich and deeply, deeply chocolately. Just reading this post has added an inch to your hips. Sorry, but it's true!!!



Sadly, it's all too easy to make. A bit of melting and mixing and baking in a water bath and you are done. When it first comes out of the oven it will be very soft. With more the texture of a firm chocolate mousse. By the next day it will still be quite soft, but will have settled to a firmer and denser texture.

As if the fudge was not evil enough it also offers unparallelled opportunities for bowl and spoon licking. Woe is me!!!



Baked Chocolate Fudge
(adapted from Donna Hay Magazine, July/August 2006)

400gm dark chocolate, chopped
120gm unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup cream
5 eggs
2 tbspn plain flour, sifted*

Place the chocolate, butter, sugar and cream in a saucepan over low heat. Stir until melted and smooth. Whisk together the flour and eggs. Slowly whisk the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture.

Pour into a small rectangular loaf tin (12x21cm) lined with baking paper. Ensure that the paper rises above the edges of the tin as the fudge will rise a little. Place the tin in a deep baking tray and add enough boiling water to come halfway up the tin's sides.

Bake for 2 1/4 hours in a 150C oven or until the fudge is cooked. To test if it is cooked, insert a skewer in the centre of the fudge. If the batter clinging to the skewer easily rolls into a little ball, then the fudge is done.

*This is an Australian recipe. 1 Australian tbspn = 4 tspn (20ml). 1 US tbspn = 3 tspn (15ml).

22 Comments:

At 1:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes I can already feel that I have put on 1 kg just looking at your fudge and drooling too. That is one reason I refuse to bake any brownie or fudge in my house. :p I only do so when I have lots of guests ... that way I spread my wealth with my friends and less temptations for me, more for them. ;)

 
At 6:54 am, Blogger Helen said...

Oh...my...goodness! That looks amazing. Now I know what I'm cooking this weekend : )

 
At 8:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh no! I'm going to have to make this and end up with a kitchen full of fudge. My wife is going to kill me!

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Is this a crumbly fudge or a thick oily fudge? I can't really describe it but I LOVE the fudge that crumbles when you bite into it, rather than the type which has the consistency of a set version of the caramel in caramel slice.
Love your blog.

 
At 2:48 pm, Blogger Laura said...

When I saw this title I was not sure what to think because despite loving chocolate I am not a fudge (as made in America) fan. But Oh. My. Gawd. this looks SO GOOD.

 
At 7:54 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Ninja, this is the sensible way to do things! Me, I'm not much good at that.

Hi HBJ, hope you enjoy it!

Hi inadobo, sorry about that!!

Hi Kate, it is not a crumbly fudge at all. It's amazing how much tastes differ. That crumbly gritty kind of fudge sets my teeth on edge.

Hi Laura, it is, it really really is!

 
At 4:32 am, Blogger grace said...

good stars above, that's a gorgeous slab of chocolate! it looks completely sinful and worth every single calorie. :)

 
At 7:55 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Wow I have never heard of baked fudge before but it sound amazing. The first picture of the texture looks absolutely decadent

 
At 5:13 am, Blogger Ingrid_3Bs said...

Oh, man I want some and I don't even like chocolate!
~ingrid

 
At 9:54 am, Blogger Grace said...

That looks so good!

 
At 1:43 am, Blogger test it comm said...

That fudge looks good!

 
At 7:14 am, Anonymous Wendy said...

ooohh. I bet this would be good added to the top of turtle brownies with some extra caramel when the brownies are almost done.. YUMMMM!

 
At 8:14 am, Blogger oneordinaryday said...

I've never had baked fudge but it looks so amazing that I'm going to have to try it asap.
Thanks for the inspiration! :)
Michelle
http://oneordinaryday.wordpress.com/

 
At 2:47 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, this looks really good! I guess it's really like a baked chocolate custard w/the eggs, but "Baked Fudge" certainly caught my eye. So did your description of the texture. Yum!

 
At 10:38 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Grace, oooh yes!!

Hi Katie, taa! It certainly is.

Hi Ingrid, haa, the power of persuasion it is strong with this one.

Hi Mango Tango, thanks.

Hi Kevin, taaa.

Hi Wendy, that's a great idea.

Hi Michelle, you're welcome.

Hi Pastrychef, I can see that from the ingredients. But I wouldn't really associate the final product with custard. It has more of a mousse texture.

 
At 1:10 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Hips are truly bigger having read this post...and longing for chocolate begins....again. This would be the perfect recipe to have for any chocolate craving.

 
At 4:11 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, this is absolutely fantastic - I'm so glad you posted it, for so many reasons (I'll be trying it soon), especially because I don't have the mag issue.

YUM!

 
At 7:21 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Thank goodness I sent the boys off before scrolling down to the baked chocolate fudge. Especially as we have the excuse that it is Easter and we're weak as water too... x

 
At 11:53 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

That sounds so delicious.

 
At 9:24 am, Blogger Sasha said...

This fudge looks sinful and possibly even illegal.
I am so making it over the weekend.

Thank you = )

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger Karine said...

That fudge looks sssssssssssoooooooooo great! Can't wait to try it!

 
At 10:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't really anderstand how to check if it is backed engouth

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet