Sunday, March 01, 2009

Challenge Book #33 - White Chocolate and Raspberry Waffle Pudding



Hi ho everyone. I'm back!........You didn't even know I was gone, did you? And I bet you haven't noticed my chic new haircut and my cool new shoes I got for a bargain either. Sighhhhh........Why do I even bother?!!

Seriously though, I have been up in Queensland for a couple of weeks enjoying the rain. These days it's such a novel experience to have it rain from dawn till dusk. It was great. I read tons of books and just relaxed. So lovely.

Now, after my last post complaining about the abysmal inferno that Canberra had become, you are probably wondering why I am posting a warm baked pudding. Well, that's because after the fun of 40C plus mother nature decided to plunge temperatures down to the late teens and to single figures during the night. I felt ridiculous digging out cardigans after weeks of lamenting that I had to wear clothes at all.

I have been itching to make this pudding since I got this book for Christmas. I believe when I turned the page and saw it my first words were "WOOOOOOOOOOOAH".

White chocolate and raspberry is one of my most favourite combinations. And waffles. Waffles are not big here in Australia. You can get one brand in the supermarket. But I ate a few hundred when I visited Belgium some years back. So fantstically good.

Well how did it taste, I hear you ask. I have to say, deliciously yummy and no mistake about it!!! It was really good. And very rich. Small servings are advised. The only thing I can criticise is the texture. The waffles did get a little mushy at the bottom. But I didn't care.

As you might expect, 5 of the Best is Challenge Book #33 in the KJ Wants Kitchen Aid Challenge. Only around 30 more to go. Oh dear!!!!


Raspberry and White Chocolate Waffle Pudding
(adapted from 5 of the Best)

480gm waffles
300gm raspberries
200gm white chocolate, chopped
1/4 cup castor sugar
1 tbspn plain flour*
3 eggs
1 tspn grated lemon rind
1 tspn vanilla
2 cups thickened cream
icing sugar to dust

Dice the waffles into 2cm cubes. Put about half into a greased medium sized casserole dish. Top with half the chocolate and raspberries. Repeat the layers.

Whisk together the eggs, flour, sugar, rind, vanilla and cream. Pour over the waffles and leave for around 10 minutes.

Bake in 170C oven for 35 minutes or until golden.

Dust with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream or ice cream.

*This is an Australian recipe. 1 Australian tablespoon = 4 teaspoons (20ml). 1 US tablespoon = 3 teaspoons (15ml).

12 Comments:

At 6:31 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Mmmm, yes please! As it's still winter here a hot baked pudding would be just the job. Glad to hear temps have dropped. x

 
At 11:36 pm, Blogger julie said...

Believe it or not, I have been checking on my google reader if you had new posts :-)

This pudding sounds so good, living close to Belgium, finding waffles are not an issue for me.

So, 30 to go, have you decided on the colour, yet?

 
At 2:23 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

I recently discovered Delicious Magazine on-line and the list is getting longer and longer on what to recreate in my own kitchen. This dish looks especially scrumptious:D

 
At 5:25 am, Blogger grace said...

i'm completely with you on the gloriousness of the combination white chocolate and raspberry--it almost can't be beaten. and bravo--using waffles to make a bread pudding is no less than sheer brilliance. :)

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger Laura said...

What a fun way to serve waffles!

 
At 7:36 am, Blogger Portia Little said...

Ooooh, this looks wonderful. I'm in love...
Portia

 
At 9:03 am, Blogger Becca said...

This looks fantastic! I was in Belgium in October and oh my, they do make a delicious waffle!

 
At 5:53 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Custard AND waffles AND raspberries AND white chocolate?! Are you trying to Kill Us All?! This looks ridiculously good!

Love the kicky new haircut and the new shoes, by the way ;)

 
At 7:53 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I love white chocolate and raspberry, too. This sounds delicious!

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Amanda, I wish I could have shared it with you.

Hi Julia, thanks that's lovely. And yes, I have my heart set on pistachio green.

Hi Val, I love Delicious magazine. I really miss buying it.

Hi Grace, it is a great idea!!

Hi Laura, it is fun!!!

Hi Portia, LOL!

Hi Becca, oh boy, do they ever!!!

hi OLP, I'm doing my best LOL!!

Hi Deborah, it's a winning combination.

 
At 5:34 am, Blogger Katie said...

Sounds wonderful. A sort of take on bread and butter pudding - yum.

 
At 11:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

woouw wonderfull food. i like it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet