Saturday, December 29, 2007

Farewell to Jaipur

This will probably be my last post from India. I am heading home. I am very sad. I will really miss everyone and everything.

I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who has left comments. I'm glad you have enjoyed my posts. I'm sorry I haven't replied to them, but time and internet speed have been sorely lacking.

I've mentioned it a few times, but I have spent most of my time at a slum school. Apart from english, hindi and maths lessons for the children the school also provides lots of arts and crafts activities and skill development for adult women. This includes lac work, crocheting and sewing. I've loved being part of this.

This is one the children's favourite activities - colouring in flowers. I draw the flowers and they colour. This is slowly changing as I have been trying to build confidence in their own drawing abilities. Indeed, some of the children are very talented.



This is lac work. Lac is a resin that is widely used to make bangles, jewellery boxes and all kinds of things. First plain lac is coated in the desired colour, which is what is happening here. Then the lac is heated over the coals, cut and moulded.



Little pieces of glass and beads are then heated and pushed into the lac as decoration.





These are some of the final products, a mirror and candle/incense holders.


Sewing includes both tailoring and sequin and embroidery work. The women make beautiful scarves, bags and saris. Rajastani women seem to live for sequins, beads, bells and bangles.


So there you have it, a little bit of my world for the past few months. I'll be back to regular food blogging very shortly. In the meantime HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!

5 Comments:

At 2:01 am, Blogger David T. Macknet said...

I don't know about anybody else, but I'd be interested to hear more about the artistry you were involved in - it sounds like so much fun, and involves things which I'd never heard about.

Have a good trip home, and thanks for posting!

 
At 1:17 am, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

What a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing some of it with us. It will be lovely to hear more on your return. In the meantime - Happy New Year. Hope 2008 brings you all that you wish for.

 
At 1:21 pm, Blogger Cynthia said...

A very happy new year to you too!

 
At 11:35 pm, Blogger Nora B. said...

KJ, you've had such a wonderful experience there. Thanks for sharing the stories and photos. I hope that you enjoyed your return to Australia and best wishes for the new year.

Nora

 
At 7:25 am, Blogger Chef Jeena said...

Hi there you have such a lovely blog. Great post the pictures are amazing. I have a blog also here is my link Food Recipes

Let me know if you would like to exchange links. Thanks Jeena x

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet