Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Cookies


Is it a cake?

Is it a cookie?

It's.....both.......or is it neither? I just don't know.

I have never quite gotten the cake cookie. I think they are trying too hard to please. In trying to be both a cake and a cookie they never quite measure up to either.

I have to admit though, that these ones are very good. They almost convinced me. Almost.

They are sour cream chocolate cake cookies from the fabulous Dorie Greenspan bible, Baking From My Home To Yours. I chose the recipe using the close my eyes and open a page method pioneered here.

So far so good with this method. So what lucky page was flicked open for next time - Floating Islands. YUM!



Sour Cream Chocolate Cake Cookies
(adapted from Baking from my home to yours)

Whisk together 21/4 cups plain flour, 1 tspn cocoa, 1 tspn baking soda, 1/2 tspn salt, 1/4 tspn cinnamon and a pinch of grated nutmeg.

Beat together 56 gm of soft unsalted butter until creamy and smooth, add 11/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/2 cup white sugar. Add 2 eggs and continue to beat for another minute.

Reduce speed and add 1 tspn vanilla extract and 57gn of melted chocolate. Alternatively add the dry ingredients and 1 cup of sour cream. Mix in 1/2 cup of sultanas.

Drop heaped teaspoons of batter onto baking sheets. Allow for spreading. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes if using two trays at a time (8-10 minutes for one tray) in a 190C oven.

16 Comments:

At 10:06 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I love anything with sour cream, and I love chocolate! And I love the closing your eyes and opening a page!!!

 
At 10:07 am, Blogger Anh said...

Sour cream cookies? Sound nice to me... !

 
At 6:09 pm, Blogger Amanda at Little Foodies said...

It sounds a like a good technique, close your eyes and open the book. Not sure about cake cookies either but yours do look tasty.

 
At 9:52 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Deborah. It is fun. With such a great book it's hard to go wrong.

Hi Anh. They are not bad at all.

Hi Amanda. They are the best ones I've tried yet.

 
At 11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

sour cream cookies definitely has a good ring to it and they look like the perfect mid-morning and afternoon treat when you are craving a little something with your tea or coffee!

 
At 2:46 pm, Blogger Julie said...

You're a brave soul for using that technique to try recipes! I liked your first time doing that--fifth times the charm. I wish I could try that method with blogs! =D

Your cookies look tasty! I may have to give them a try.

 
At 11:27 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

It's a cookie on the outside and a cake on the inside :)

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

It's delicious! I could really be done with one now for my elevenses =)

 
At 9:16 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Hi KJ,
cool...! I've not heard of a cookie cake, what does that mean? i would imagine that it looks like a cookie but has a cakey texture?

 
At 12:56 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

The look delicious, KJ!
And that book is just pure temptation.

 
At 12:18 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Veron, yes they are perfect for that.

Hi Julie, yes I did cheat a bit.

Hi Cynthia, an excellent description.

Hi Kelly-Jane. I'd have sent you one if I could.

Hi Nora, yes that's right. They are an American invention I think. You don't see them here much.

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Patricia, is it ever. There are so many good things in there.

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger Julie said...

I'd call this a totally proper post! It really is a poetic dessert. =) And mmm, the deeper the cup, the deeper the custard delight. I love all the cups!

 
At 3:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So I made these cookies last night, since they looked so good. I love black & white cookies (another cake-cookie) and thought I might like these as well. These were pretty good with a couple minor adjustments: I baked them at 350F for 8-10 min (12-15 was way too long) and also, did you mean heaped tablespoons? I used a teaspoon for the first batch and they turned out like little burnt discs.

 
At 10:29 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Anonymous, you are right. I am so sorry. I feel terrible.

I bake with two trays at a time, which requires around 12-15 minutes. You also have to swap them around in the oven. Using one tray it would be less, around 8-10 as you say. I should have said this.

And yes, I also made some bigger ones. Which required a longer baker time. 12 or so minutes would probably be right with a single tray.

I've fixed the post now. Apologies again.

 
At 3:04 pm, Blogger Cakespy said...

Wow. I know this was a while ago, but this post really caught my eye. I love how sour cream tastes in baked goods, but I have never had cookies made with it! I want to try this one out...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet