Sunday, September 30, 2007

Daring Buns

Welcome to the tale of my daring bun baking experience in the genre of Jamie Oliver occasionally channelling Nigella.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today we're going to be making buns. And not just any old buns

So the first thing I'm gonna do is some nice little cinnamon rolls. Lovely soft rolls laced with cinnamon and topped with crisp white fondant. Superb.



Then I'm gonna make some totally wicked sticky buns. Silky soft sweet pillowy rolls dripping with a lusciously smooth bronzen treacly caramel (cue long lilting stare down the camera lens).




Scene One - Cinnamon Buns

Right, first off, the cinnamon buns.

So what I'm gonna do is mix up a dough. All you've got to do right, is cream together some butter, sugar and salt. Throw in an egg. I've got a nice lemon here. What I'm gonna do is add a bit of zest. Just to give it that little bit of zing. (Cue some energetic zesting). Lovely. Now add your flour, yeast and milk. Hey presto, there it is. Now keep the mixer going and let it knead for 10 minutes and bob's your uncle.

Now if the dough insists on clinging to the centre of the dough hook and is just being whizzed around without actually being kneaded or anything. Not to worry. Just take it out and do it by hand.

Now if the dough is so soft that your hand just goes straight through it. Not to worry. All you've got to do is just keep adding flour until it looks about right. There you go, lovely.

So now what I'm wanna do is get really stuck into the dough for about fifteen minutes (cue strenuous kneading accompanied by some heavy breathing and grimacing facial expressions). Don't worry about that burning sensation in our arms. They won't fall off. And who couldn't do with a little bit of toning up. Just think how good you'll look down the beach this summer.

Right, that's done. Just bosh it in an oiled bowl, leave it rise for two hours, and happy days.

Just have a look at that. Totally pukka. Now get yourself a rolling pin and half your dough and turn out a bit of a rectangle. It don't have to be perfect. It's looks better if it's a bit rough and ready. So now what I wanna do is dust it with cinnamon sugar and sort of like roll it up. Lovely.

Right cut the roll into sort of like slices and pop them onto a baking tray. Don't worry if all the filling sort of like falls out onto the counter everywhere. We're going for rustic here. Leave them for another hour and a half until they're all satiny soft pillows of puffy fluffy goodness (cue simmering smirk into the camera).



(Cue shots of running about town on a motor scooter doing pointless errands overlayed by totally random background music from a band that's so ultra trendy noone has heard of it.)

Right, my buns are ready. Into the oven they go. Now's the time to get cracking on the sticky buns.

Scene two - Sticky Buns

Right, roll out the rest your dough, dust with your cinnamon sugar, roll up and cut. Just like before.

Now I'm gonna make the caramel for the top of the buns. Into the mixer goes white sugar, brown sugar, salt and butter. So now what I'm gonna do is cream that and then add in some corn syrup and a squeeze of lemon juice (cue exagerated squeezing complete with facial grimmacing). Keep mixing until it sort of like turns into a rich deeply dusky creamy cream. (Cue a lingering sidelong glance accompanied by a slight smile.)

So just get that into a pan. Nice and thin, about a 1/4 an inch thick which will be lovely. It doesn't have to be perfect, remember it's rustic. And sort of like dot with the buns. Then just leave it to proof.

Scene 3 - Cinnamon buns take two

Right, here are the cinnamon buns out of the oven. Just look at that. That's top top drawer. And in go the sticky buns.

What are buns without fondant icing right. Know what I mean. So here we go. Dead simple. Into a bowl icing sugar, lemon juice and warm milk. Just sort of whisk it together. Really give it some welly. (Cue shots of frenzied stirring with lots of facial grimmacing). That's the ticket. So have a little taste. (Cue finger dipping and tasting followed by some serious consideration). Mmmmm, I'm really pleased with that.



Now what I'm gonna do is just sort of like drizzle the soft snowy confection over the warm flaky sweetly scented buns (cue hair toss, backward head tilt and down the throat spoon licking). Just like that. If you've got endless uses for white fondant, make the whole recipe. You can drizzle it over some little crunchy biscuits, any old bits of fruitcake you've got lying around, your Grandad's false teeth. Go wild. Or do what I did and halve it. Too easy.

Scene 4 - Sticky buns take two



Now what I'm gonna do is have a bit of a peep under the buns before I take them out of the oven. You want to be sure you've got caramel. You really don't want to sort of like overcook them either. They'll go all hard and sort of like crispy. And then they won't be sticky will they.

Right turn them out. Whatever you do don't burn yourself. (Cue shots of an overly dramatic near miss, with a bit of a jump and some finger waving). And there you have it, sticky buns. I don't care what anyone else says there's never been anything better ever in whole history of the entire universe.

(Cue shots of lots of ultra trendy fake friends from central casting arriving, at the exact moment the food is ready, for an ultra trendy fake get together in a supercool rented for the purpose apartment, all overlayed by more random background music.)

(Cue shots of bun nibbling, dripping caramel (which somehow never gets into the long loose hanging hair) and finger licking.)



(Cue shots of central casting being disappointed at the slight dryness and lack of cinnamon in the cinnamon buns, but really enjoying the fondant icing.)

(Cue shots of central casting rhubarbing to each other about how totally delicious the sticky buns are, followed by shots of vague nausea because they are incredibly sweet and rich and scoffing down three in a row is never a good idea.)


Right cheers everyone. See you next time. (Cue late night shot of going into the kitchen and guzzling buns in the dark).

Scene 5 - The credits

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Many thanks to Marce for a great challenge. The full recipe can be found on her blog. If it's not there yet it soon will be.

Why not check out the efforts of all the other fantastic Daring Bakers all around the world.

55 Comments:

At 1:33 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job :) It's not the 30th yet here in NY so I have to wait until tomorrow morning to post. haha

 
At 2:27 am, Blogger marias23 said...

Beautiful bunz, KJ! They look luscious and inviting and are making me hungry!

 
At 3:35 am, Blogger slush said...

They both look fantastic. The sugar on my sticky buns got candy like, hard. Yours look just as they should. Great job! xo

 
At 4:52 am, Blogger Dolores said...

An intriguing suspense-filled (and mouth-watering) play in two acts.

Encore! Encore!

 
At 6:56 am, Blogger Dagmar said...

Great post :-) I added some extra cinnamon in my sticky buns as I thought it was too little in the recipe. I'm waiting for the clock to become 00 AM here so that I can post as well :-)

 
At 7:01 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahaha awesome post, KJ! The buns look delicious, all of them, but I agree with you, or was it Jaime´s friends?, that the cinnamon buns are a bit drier, but that´s because they don´t have nearly as much butter as the sticky buns. I´m thinking of doing them with an apple-cinnamon filling next time, maybe that´ll add a touch of extra moisture. Anyways, great post and beautiful work.

 
At 8:43 am, Blogger Jenny said...

Hehehe well done Jamie.... Oh, sorry, I mean KJ! (I think you forgot a few swear words in his dialogue though, which should have clued me in.)
I too have to wait until tomorrow to post.

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger Nora B. said...

Terrific post and terrific buns! I love cinnabuns. My friend and I are were going to join DB this month but she is away yet again. This would have been a good entry for me since I love making scrolls/buns.

 
At 12:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good work Jamie/Nigella/KJ/whoever you are! I agree with the dryness of the cinnamon buns, but the sticky buns were great!

 
At 1:30 pm, Blogger Anh said...

KJ, great job! I will be testing the sticky buns once all my senses are back. Thanks for the well wishes! *hugs*

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger Helene said...

Really great read KJ! Congrats on a challenge completed! The shots are great and the close ups are just about to send me in a sugar high!

 
At 5:30 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Great job KJ, and I love how you've written up your fun post too :)

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger Katie said...

Wow those are so seriously sticky looking buns - yum! Not sure i like the idea of adding the false teeth though :)

 
At 6:27 pm, Blogger Peabody said...

You are cracking me up with all your "cue shot" remarks...too cute.
Buns look beautiful.

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger Ilva said...

I love that transparent look of your sticky buns, so inviting!

 
At 8:38 pm, Blogger Hilda said...

I love it, that totally sounded like Jamie with all the sidelong glances and grimacing of Nigella, I laughed from the beginning to the end, and your buns look lovely (which as Lis pointed out sounds totally pervy). ;)

 
At 8:47 pm, Blogger Jen the Bread Freak said...

What a great post! Your buns look fantastic. I've always wondered why none of the food ever ends up in the long loose hair.... :)

 
At 9:50 pm, Blogger Anne said...

your sticky buns looks to die for! I loved the photo with a lot of caramel...looks soo good :)

 
At 10:24 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

These buns look awesome! I especially like that close up shot of them nestled together in the pan. those cue remarks are cute!

 
At 11:57 pm, Blogger Andrea said...

Lovely photos! Your buns turned out quite nice!

 
At 11:58 pm, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Wonderful job from an enthusiastic and talented Daring Baker KJ.I will admire all you guys from afar, but, this is a challenge I could have accomplished because I love to make yeast breads..and they work out well!One tip that I know of, (don't ask me where I first heard of it) is that when you are slicing a moist cake or slicing dough for cinnamon bread before baking : Take a piece of sewing thread, doesn't matter what colour (wink..wink...) put it underneath the log and bring the two ends together over the top and cross them over and pull. This will slice your dough lickity split and their will be no gushing of filling. Same for a cake you want to make several layers for just draw a piece of thread, wrapped tightly around a finger on each hand, through the layers and it slices it like butter. From one cake layer you can get 3 pieces. Amazing and easy!!

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Annemarie said...

Well done for taking on both sets of buns. If only the sticky bun recipe came with the advice not to eat too many in a row...

 
At 12:02 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great photos! I love the way you can practically see every track of cinnamon sugar in the close ups!

 
At 12:20 am, Blogger Dharm said...

Karen my dear,
LOVE the post! almost fell of the chair laughing with your impersonation of Nigella and Jamie - especially the Pukka part and Lovely!! Heheheheh! Your's is the first post I'm reading - I posted a bit late - its already 10pm on Sunday night - but had a real busy weekend. Your buns look great and A+ on the writeup - so good!! So well done!! Just Lovely!! *Grin*

 
At 12:26 am, Blogger Anne said...

Hahaha - lovely post, I loved reading it :)

 
At 12:32 am, Blogger Jes said...

The buns look like they'd melt in your mouth...wish I were around to sneak one off the counter! :)

 
At 12:52 am, Blogger kellypea said...

You are HILARIOUS! It's sort of painful laughing this hard without my first cup of coffee down. Are you sure you didn't have Jaime there with you? Your cues are excellent...Oh. I forgot...the buns. How did you get that soft and lovely color on your sticky buns. Beautiful "bronzen treakly." I'll have to look up the treakle thingy because I always forget what it is!

 
At 1:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have combined all of the hotness of the Nigella and the Jamie into your buns.

Well done! Applause!

 
At 2:23 am, Blogger MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

That was a fun read on great buns!
Sure did like the sticky buns and yes I love me cinnamon and would use a full tablespoon!
Understand exactly what you say about the sticky bun nausea. I wanted another so bad but somehow just knew that would be wrong. My skinny 92 year old dad tried to eat two at one sitting and only made one and a half.

 
At 2:33 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I liked reading your post...and your rolls are beautiful!

 
At 3:05 am, Blogger Belinda said...

I'm still lauging to myself at "ultra trendy fake friends!" You did a fantasic job with the buns...they look scrumptious! :-)

 
At 3:51 am, Blogger breadchick said...

Bloody Fantastic Jamigella! Great job on this month's challenge!!

 
At 4:53 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Your sticky buns look so cozy in their pan - it's a wonder you talked them out of there.

 
At 4:56 am, Blogger Janet said...

Awesome buns!! Your turned out amazing!

 
At 5:21 am, Blogger Julie said...

Wow. Having gotten rid of cable TV awhile back, I'd forgotten what Jaimie sounds like!

Your buns look delicious!

 
At 6:09 am, Blogger Laura said...

Finger licking goodness for sure!

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger April said...

They both look amazing!!

 
At 12:05 pm, Blogger Chez Us said...

Gooey goodness here! YUM

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Henny A. said...

delicious looking cinnamon buns! great job.

 
At 1:28 pm, Blogger Michelle said...

These look great! Love the format of your post too :)

 
At 3:44 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Delicious looking buns! And I really could "hear" Jamie and a bit of Nigella in there...too funny! :)

 
At 3:56 pm, Blogger Karen Baking Soda said...

Totally pukka post! Cue to a grimacing Baking Soda barely holding on to her first cup of coffee!

 
At 4:13 pm, Blogger Pille said...

Lovely buns!! I like how beautifully white your fondant glazing is!!

 
At 2:18 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful buns. Seeing all these buns in everywhere is making me hungry for cinnamon buns. :p

 
At 3:38 am, Blogger Aoife said...

Those cinnamon buns look "really, really fantastic!" I'm so impressed that you made both, but since you say the cinnamon buns were a little disappointing, I'm glad I picked the sticky.

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger Rachel said...

These look yummy!

 
At 9:41 am, Blogger Wendy said...

Your rolls look delicious. I love your photography so bright and cheery to match your cheerful and funny write-up. Wendy

 
At 1:49 am, Blogger Deborah said...

You SO need your own cooking show!! I'd watch! Great looking buns - especially the photo with the caramel dripping down the sticky buns...yum!

 
At 5:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved your impersonations. Especially the sidelong glances and fingers dipped in the caramel :0

 
At 11:55 am, Blogger Lyra said...

I was just working my way down the daring bakers blogroll, read your post and burst out laughing. The thing is, I have never seen either Nigella or Jamie Oliver in action, but your blow by blow description was so utterly hilarious that it didn't even matter.

Thanks for a great laugh, and I'm definitely going to add you to my blogroll now that I've found you!

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Love the written visuals (Cue redhead laughing a lot) and your buns looks wonderful, even if the cinnamon flavor was weak. Yummy!

 
At 9:14 pm, Blogger Lis said...

OMG BEST POST EVER! HAHAHAHAAAA!

Somehow I missed the first paragraph.. and as I'm reading, I'm thinking - holy hell she sounds like Jamie Oliver (HAR!) after I was finished, I went back to the beginning and read how you were going to imitate him.. oh my you did an EXCELLENT job!

So funny!!

xoxo

 
At 7:59 am, Blogger KJ said...

Hi to everyone, and thank you for your kind comments.

Nora, I hope you do join the DBs. It's a lot of fun.

Valli, thank you for the great tip. I will definitely be trying it in the future.

 
At 6:16 am, Blogger african vanielje said...

Hilarious, fabulous dah-ling, totally like pukka. Do you think Jamie or Nigella would cut it as DBers? Love the buns too KJ

 
At 10:30 pm, Blogger BC said...

Great play by play description of your buns!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet