Friday, March 14, 2008

Challenge Book #3: Rocky Road Ice Cream

I have just eaten two scoops of this. And I'm pretty sure I'm about to eat another two. After what I've just been through who could blame me? Who? Who who?



It all started when my miserable wretch of a car decided to die a sudden death on the way home from work. Smoke was pouring through the vents.

After a few pathetic efforts to move it myself, two lovely gentlemen came to my rescue and dodged the buses and taxis to push the heap of rubbish up onto the footpath. They then proceeded to lend me a phone to ring the NRMA and then run around madly to find out the name of the street I was on. You will never, never read this I'm sure, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU. I can't tell you how grateful I was.



Twenty minutes later the NRMA arrives to tell me that the starter motor has burnt out and I will need a tow truck. Which is just such good news given that I only replaced the dam thing a year ago. I hate cars so much.

So there I sat for an hour and a quarter as darkness descended. I was almost in tears when an angel of mercy arrived in the form of a man on a bicycle. He then rode on to his house and came back with his phone, so that I could ring to check on what's happening. You will never, never read this I'm sure, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your kindess. I cannot tell you how much I appreciated it. Really, truly, really.



After about five phone calls back and forth, it turns out that the tow truck was on its way to me when it broke down. So then they had to send out another tow truck to pick up that tow truck and take it back to the depot, to put the drivers in the back up tow truck to come and get me. This was going to take another half an hour, apparently.

None of my friends would answer their phones either. Which made me wonder what they were all doing on a Friday night without me. It's just a tale of woe.



An hour later, I'm sitting locked into my car in pitch black reconciling myself to spending the rest of my life beside this hideous bit of road. Then the most beautiful tow truck on the planet arrives and whisks my cretin of a car off to the shop. I was never so relieved in my life.

My only worry now is that I have to leave it sitting outside the garage in the open overnight. I hope it's still in one piece in the morning. Not that the rotten thing deserves my consideration.

So obviously there was no choice but to eat ice cream. What else is a girl to do?

This ice cream is top notch. However, I think the mojo for the recipe is the add ins, rather than the ice cream. Which is a shame becase the ice cream itself is delicious.

I only used about half the suggested amount of add ins. Otherwise, your are basically eating marshmallows and nuts with a bit of ice cream wrapped around it. I have, however, included the full amount in the recipe I've included here.

I also subbed in some turkish delight for the cherries. I love turkish delight. But really I think your imagination is the limit.

My only other piece of advice is to chop the add inns to a small dice. That way you get a bit of everything in one bite, rather than just a mouthful of mallow.

This recipe is from Iced: 180 Very Cool Concoctions, which doesn't seem to have an author. And this is Book #3 in the KJ Wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. Basically, I have challenged myself to make at least one recipe from every cookbook I own before I buy any new ones (including magazines). If I succeed I can buy myself a new mixer (yaay!!!).

I bought this book about six months ago and this is the first thing I have ever made from it. Shocking!!!! It won't be the last either. There's recipe in there for citrus and poppyseed ice cream that I have my beady little eyes on.


Rocky Road Ice Cream
(adapted from Iced)

375ml of milk
375ml of whipping cream
80gm of caster sugar
5 egg yolks
200gm of finely grated milk chocolate

Heat the milk, cream and sugar in a saucepan until the sugar is dissolved and the mix is just about to boil. Remove.

Whisk the yolks. Slowly whisk in some of the hot milk mix to temper the eggs. Whisk in the rest of the milk mix. Return to the saucepan and stir over a low heat until the mix thickens and coats the back of a spoon. Make sure the mixture doesn't boil.

Remove from the heat. Add the grated chocolate and stir until smooth. Refrigerate until cool.


15gm dessicated coconut, toasted
60gm of marshmallows, chopped
40gm of peanuts, toasted and chopped
80gm of glace cherries, chopped
80gm of dark chocolate, grated

Pour chilled mix into an ice cream maker and churn. When it's done, spoon into a freezer container and quickly mix in the ingredients outlined above. Freeze. Scoop and serve.

Alternatively, freeze in a 1.5 litre loaf tin with the surface covered in gladwrap. To serve, dip the base into some warm water. Invert onto a serving plate and cut into slices. You can also melt some extra dark chocolate and pour over the ice cream.

12 Comments:

At 11:28 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

This is some fancy ice-cream, KJ - I love all the add ins. I have never tried turkish delight, but having seen photos of it I'm sure I'd love it, too.

And I'm glad to hear everything turned out fine after all. Not all is lost when it comes to mankind!

 
At 3:05 am, Blogger Rachel said...

That's awesome!

 
At 4:18 am, Blogger Brilynn said...

You can have all the ice cream you want after that. Send some my way too!

 
At 4:54 am, Blogger Deborah said...

You really need a cell phone!! I used to think that I'd never have one, but it's stories like this that make me glad that I do own one...

But the ice cream - this could bring a ray of sunshine no matter how bad the day was!!

 
At 12:38 pm, Blogger test it comm said...

That ice cream looks good. I like ice cream the best when it is in that just starting to melt stage.

 
At 3:06 pm, Blogger Cindy said...

Oh, how awful! I'm glad you got home safely (eventually) and had this delicious icecream to comfort you.

 
At 1:20 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

You really deserve some ice cream, medicinal purposes! It looks fabulous.

You DO need a mobile phone!

 
At 7:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't got to grips with making icecream. I always find it turns lightly crystallised - I need to improce my technique. This looks DELICIOUS

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Oh Patricia, you are missing out. Turkish Delight is a delight!!

Hi Rachel, all's well that ends well.

Hi Brilynn, I would if I could.

Hi Deborah, I do need a mobile. I have become reconciled to this sad fact.

Hi Kevin, oh me too. It's the best.

Thanks Cindy. The ice cream certainly did the trick.

Hi Kelly-Jane, I know. It's on my to do list.

Hi Charlotte, I think custard based ice creams are the smoothest. A good ice cream maker can make all the difference. Once you've got the hang of it, the sky is the limit.

 
At 12:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

KJ, Did you use the ice-cream attachment for your mixer (I am thinking of getting one for my Kitchenaid)? I am curious to know if they are worth using or not because they are pretty expensive.

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Marcy, I have a separate ice cream maker that I use. It's a krupps. It's not too expensive and it works really well.

 
At 6:45 am, Blogger Cheryl said...

That is definitely the perfect guilty pleasure to have after a horrible evening as you had. Hope all is getting better now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet