Tuesday, May 26, 2009

KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge - Third Quarterly Update

As you may or may not know, on 1 March last year I made a resolution. I would not buy a single new cookbook until I made at least one recipe from every cookbook I already own. All 52 (or thereabouts) of them. If I am good, I can buy myself a new mixer. Namely a Kitchen Aid.

Anyway, I have finally gotten myself to the three-quarter mark. Here is the first quarterly review and here is the second quarterly review. It has been slow going over the last six months due to my poor health. It is still quite difficult for me to spend much time in the kitchen. I can only really manage things that are quick or can be done in a number of short bursts. But I am determined to finish this. I shall plough on and on.

Because I am still really enjoying this challenge. I always try to pick new recipes and have discovered so many wonderful things. But looking back I have realised that I haven't varied the types of things I've cooked as much as I could have. There are lots of cakes, tarts and ice cream in there. So for the rest of the challenge I am going to try and pick out types of dishes that have not yet featured or I never make.

The highlight for this quarter was definitely the chocolate pizza. It was so delicious!! Whenever I think of it, I just think YUM!!! The not so much of a highlight was the lemon mousse. It really was foul, which was all my own fault. Hey, I can't be perfect all the time (as if)!!

Here is a brief overview.


Challenge Book #27 - Strawberry Cream Butterfly Cakes adapted from Marie Claire Kitchen.

Light, airy, tender, delicious and oh so pretty.








Challenge Book #28 - Lemon Mousse adapted from bills Food by Bill Granger.

Absolutely foul. But minus my incompetence probably a really delicious recipe.







Challenge Book #29 - Potato Swirls adapted from Popular Potato Recipes by Family Circle.

Not bad. A bit lacking in flavour, but they certainly looked great.






Challenge Book #30 - Spicy Butter adapted from Coming Home by John Burton Race.

Very luxurious and delicious.








Challenge Book #31 -Greek Yoghurt and Orange Pots adapted from Apples for Jam by Tessa Kiros.

Quick and easy. Georgeously thick and creamy. Delicious and highly adaptable. There are so many directions you could go with this.







Challenge Book #32 - Lemonade Granita adapted from Family by Silvana Franco.

Lovely and refreshing. Perfect for the long hot days of summer.




Challenge Book #33 - White Chocolate and Raspberry Waffle Pudding adapted from 5 of the Best by Valli Little.

Rich and delicious. One of my favourite flavour combinations with the novel addition of waffles.








Challenge Book #34 - Tiger Tea Cakes adapted from Paris Sweets by Dorie Greenspan.

Lovely moist and flavourful cakes. Not to mention the silky smooth ganache. Just yum!








Challenge Book #35 - Plum Baklava Tarts adapted from The Best from the BBC.

So good. And so adaptable, the skies the limit.








Challenge Book #36 - Chocolate Pizza adapted from Pizza Modo Mio by John Lanzafame.

Yum, yum, yum!! It's novel, it's fun and it's divine.








Challenge Book #38 - Hazelnut Wafers adapted from Delicious Days by Nicole Stich.

I you like hazelnuts you will love these. Feather light, super crisp and a pure hazelnut flavour.








Challenge Book #38 - Passionfruit Cream Tarts adapted from Christmas Cooking by Women's Weekly.

Passionfruit heaven. I was delighted with how well the pastry turned out.








Challenge Book #39 - Banana and Ginger Cheesecake adapted from Home Cooked from the ABC.

A delightfully light and creamy cheesecake, with a lovely combination of flavours.

4 Comments:

At 7:50 am, Blogger Sasha said...

KJ, sorry to hear about your poor health : / but keep up the good work!
All of these look great - my sweet tooth is acting up just looking at the pictures.

-http://fortheluvoffood.blogspot.com/

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger Cath said...

LOL @ the lemon mousse. I love the real human touch. Perfection is too unreal. Of course you have plenty of company. I made some very dodgy dumplings today, and I once made a lemon delicious pudding and totally forgot to add the milk. It was shockingly bad.

 
At 8:48 pm, Blogger grace said...

i think this challenge of yours is truly wonderful. just look at all the goodness you've created! keep it up!

 
At 1:06 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Keep at it KJ! It's always fun to see which recipe you chose...for example the tiger tea cakes from Dorie's Paris book...not the obvious choice but such sweet little cakes and you made them look so pretty!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet