Sunday, June 28, 2009

Chocolate Mousse with Salted Caramel Sauce and Chocolate Dirt



I've been sitting here for five minutes trying to think of some witty, intriguing little tale to put in this post that will somehow segue seamlessly into talk of rich gooey chocolate caramel goodness.

But I really can't think of anything. My mind is a blank. I'm only writing this because I need to write something. Anything. It reminds me of when I was a tutor at University marking exam essays. Those who knew the answer would be so desparate just to get it all out in time their writing would be a scribble. Those who were clueless would write down all kinds of rubbish with exacting neatness just for something to do. This typing is copperplate!!

So anyway I guess I can just tell you about this dessert. It is a chocolate mousse with a salted caramel sauce and chocolate dirt. It is really really good. Just delicious in fact.

And it's not too tricky to make. The chocolate dirt is just a mix of ground almonds, sugar, cocoa and a little butter. It adds a wonderful crunch and texture. The chocolate mousse is chocolate mousse one of the easiest desserts out there. Making caramel is a bit more challenging but well worth the effort. If the sauce ends up too thick, not to worry, just add a splash more cream.



The recipe comes from one of my favourite TV shows the Cook and the Chef. There's also a coffee foam to go with it, but detesting coffee I ignored it.

I suggest ignoring both of the chocolate mousse recipes in this link. Who can be bothered mucking around with algae. As if life is not hard enough. And I see no way in which the one using chocolate and hot water could work. Just use a bog standard recipe. I think a soft aearated mousse made with egg whites is best (which is what I have used here), but it would also work well with a firm mousse. Unless you like little chocolate puddles, allow the caramel sauce to cool to just warm before plating up.

Well what do you know here's a post, whoo hooo!!

Labels: , ,

14 Comments:

At 8:54 am, Blogger Elle said...

Yummy, cool, and who can hate chocolate and salted caramel? I love your last sentence about allowing the sauce to cool. Imagining chocolate puddles, with caramel puddles and chocolate dirt...a kid's idea of dessert to play with! :)

 
At 5:45 pm, Blogger Meeta K. Wolff said...

no need for a witty title this title will draw us like a moth to a flame. lovely! KJ you are a tease!

 
At 9:48 pm, Blogger grace said...

a treat this decadent requires no build-up or story! and although i happen to enjoy puddles made of chocolate, i'd go ahead and heed your advice about letting the sauce cool. :)

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

Sweet and salty are one of my newest favourite combinations.

 
At 11:25 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, words are not necessary here, darling - chocolate and caramel together? Perfection!

 
At 6:09 am, Blogger Katie said...

Oh yum these sound wonderful. Chocolate and caramel are the perfect pairing

 
At 9:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very tasty, indeed! When I want a chocolate "sand," I just grind up some chocolate wafers. I like the addition of the ground almonds, though--bet hazelnut would be great, too.

 
At 12:20 pm, Anonymous Caleb said...

I found your food blog going through a few links. Glad I ran into it. Didn't know that the food blog community was so big. I love your posts!

I was wondering if you would like to exchange links. I'll drop yours on my site and you drop mine on yours. Email at ramendays@yahoo.com or stop by my site and drop a comment. Let me know if you would like to do a link exchange.

Cheers,
Caleb
www.ramendays.com

 
At 12:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mind went blank too - I can only think "chocolate mousse with salted caramel sauce and chocolate dirt"

 
At 1:53 am, Blogger Anna said...

No need for wit and intrigue when there are the words 'chocolate mousse' 'salted caramel sauce' and 'chocolate dirt' all in the same sentence. If it were up to me I'd just writen SALTED CARAMEL in capital letters several times. This sounds too good to be allowed.

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

No words needed beyond salted caramel and chocolate, a lovely combo :)

 
At 3:05 pm, Blogger Cath said...

OMG, my houseguests have just left me a jar of salted caramel sauce... whatever shall I do?

 
At 11:55 am, Anonymous Al said...

This is my new favorite dessert!

 
At 1:59 pm, Blogger Laura said...

Wow that looks fabulous. So glad I was catching up and spotted it--it's getting bookmarked pronto!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet