Sunday, September 16, 2007

fantastic focaccia


One day about a year or so ago I was idly tootling around on the internet trying to keep myelf amused when I stumbled across Delicious Days. It was a revelation. I had no idea that food blogs existed and I had never even imagined such a thing. Such a narrow world view seems utterly bizarre now.

Anyhow, at that time Days was featuring a recipe for focaccia. I just could not resist the rave reviews and determined to try it for myself. Am I ever glad I did. It is quite simply a fantastic recipe. I have made it dozens of times over now and I think I will be making it forever.

What's so good about it. Well, for one thing the crumb of the bread is beautifully soft, springy and moist. For another, this is topped and tailed by a crunchy olive oil crust. For a third, you can go mad with the toppings to create endless tasty variations - olives, rosemary, herbs. My clear preference is for nothing more than a sprinkling of plain sea salt. I think it adds superbly to the soft yeasty taste of the bread.

As if that is not enough, it is the easiest of easy bread recipes. There is no kneading. The dough should be of an almost pourable consistency. Nicky gives a good demonstration of this in her post. There is only one rising which is usually accomplished well within the hour. It only needs 15-20 minutes in the oven. So easy.


I have made a few adaptations to the recipe Nicky provides. I put this down to the difference in Australian and German ingredients. This is how I make it.

Focaccia
(adapted from Delicious Days)

In a large bowl, dissolve 15gm of fresh yeast in 1 cup of tepid water. Add 1 cup of bread flour and 1 tspn of salt. Stir for a few minutes.

Add another cup of flour and mix. To get the right consistency, I usually have to add another 1/4 to 1/2 cup of tepid water. The dough should be soft, sticky and almost liquid. Stir for another 2-3 minutes.

Set aside in a warm spot to prove. The dough should be well risen - I usually leave it for 40 minutes to an hour depending on the weather. Pour dough into a 19x25cm high sided pan well coated with olive oil. Take care to keep as many bubbles as possible in the mixture. Brush the top with olive oil and sprinkle with preferred topping.

Bake for 15-20 minutes in a 230C oven. Brown the top under a hot grill if necessary.


11 Comments:

At 10:08 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

Your bread looks great, yum!

 
At 6:21 am, Blogger Deborah said...

This looks delicious! I've never made focaccia before, but you make it sound so easy!

 
At 10:35 am, Blogger Anh said...

KJ, the foccacia looks wonderful... Drizzle some EVO and I will be sent to food heaven!!

 
At 6:10 pm, Blogger Cottage Smallholder said...

That looks wonderful KJ. I am going to try this recipe this week. Focaccia is heavenly when it is really fresh.

Thanks for the inspiration.

 
At 7:52 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Kelly-jane, thanks.

Hi Deborah, because it really is easy. I promise.

Hi Anh. Thanks, same for me.

Hi Fiona, let me know how it goes. I would love to know what you think.

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger Peabody said...

It's such and easy bread to make and it is so delish! Yours looks beautiful.

 
At 6:51 pm, Blogger Dharm said...

I have to try this now! I've tried Focaccia before but it always had a heavy dough and was a little tough. Yours looks just great!

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Thanks Peabody.

Hi Dharm, let me know how it goes if you do try it!

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

The foccacia looks just as it should! I just bought a loaf of black olive and Asiago cheese foccacia. I will have to try making it sometime!

 
At 9:56 pm, Blogger Laura Paterson said...

Hi!
I'm making this for Taste and Create - I've just left it to rise... I've never made Focaccia before, fingers crossed!

 
At 3:41 am, Blogger Laura Paterson said...

Well - it's made and posted!
Very successful - I'll be making it again, thanks :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet