Monday, March 31, 2008

Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread


Every Sunday I buy the Sun Herald newspaper. But the stories about the failing health system and football stars gone feral can wait. The first thing I do is open up the lifestyle magazine and check out Karen Martini's recipes.

Her feature always has three recipes based around a particular ingredient or theme. They are always droolworthy. But Easter was a new benchmark when the recipes were, what else, chocolate.

The star of the show was this chocolate coconut banana bread. I simply had to, HAD TO, try it.



And it was delicious. The chocolate and coconut and banana flavours all meld nicely together. The chocolate chips and banana chunks on top of the cake add lovely little rich bursts of flavour. As Karen suggests the best results come from using good quality cocoa and chocolate. And the riper the bananas the better.

The crumb is moist and dense. It's a little crumbly when first out of the oven, but seems to condense down as it cools.



And it's easy. It's a fairly basic cake recipe. I used a bit smaller tin than the recipe specifies so it took a bit longer to cook. But I think it looks quite spectacular.

I've made it twice already and I shall be making it again and again.



Chocolate Coconut Banana Bread
(adapted from Karen Martini's Sun Herald Newspaper Column)

250gm of plain flour
20gm cocoa powder
2tspn baking powder
120gm butter, softened
130gm raw sugar
2 large eggs
2 very large ripe bananas (about 500gm), plus one extra
60gm shredded coconut
80gm dark chocolate chips

Sift flour, cocoa and baking powder together.

Cream butter and sugar and then add the eggs one at a time. Beat well.

Mash up the two ripe bananas and stir in. Fold in the flour mixture. Then add the coconut and chocolate chips. Stir until well combined.

Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin (22x12cm). Slice the extra banana and lay it over the top of the batter. Bake for 60-65 minutes in a 195C conventional oven (or 175C fanforced) or until a skewer comes out clean.

14 Comments:

At 9:20 pm, Blogger Shaheen said...

Looks so nice and dense - have to bookmark it! thanks

 
At 1:21 am, Blogger Brilynn said...

Love the combo of flavours, I definitely want to try this one!

 
At 1:50 am, Blogger grace said...

i'm loving the slices of banana on top of the bread! that's a brilliant idea, and i'm surprised i haven't seen it done before. looks lip-smackin' good! :)

 
At 2:11 am, Blogger Deborah said...

This recipe is calling my name! Yum!

 
At 3:28 am, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

I think it looks spectacular, too. KJ, I'll have to bake this work of art!

 
At 5:05 am, Blogger test it comm said...

That chocolate banana bread looks so good!

 
At 2:06 pm, Blogger Elle said...

Wow...that extra sliced bannana and the chocolate makes this look so voluptuous and delish! Great idea.

 
At 2:14 am, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

What an exciting new way for me to use up all those "dead" bananas lurking around my home:D

 
At 6:27 pm, Blogger Big Boys Oven said...

looks so yummy!

 
At 6:24 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Coco, no problem.

Hi Brilynn, I hope you enjoy it.

Hi a., it gives a lovely effect I think.

Hi Deborah, I know the feeling.

Hi Patricia, thanks.

Hi Kevin, I'm glad you like it.

Hi Elle, I love the effect too.

Hi Val, it's perfect for that.

Hi BBO, thanks.

 
At 8:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for posting this! I've been looking for the recipe since being served this at a morning tea.

I made one with gluten free flour.. it was a bit dry so I might increase the butter to see if that improves it's moistness the next time I make it. Also, the bananas on top dried out and went a bit crispy! Yours look moist though.. any ideas?

 
At 3:51 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Julia, sorry it turn out as you hoped. I can only suggest that maybe you cut the banana slices too thin. Mine were quite thick. Or maybe the oven temperature was a bit high, which would also dry out the cake. Sorry, it's all I can think of :{

 
At 5:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey KJ.. it's Julia again.. I made it once more.. this time I added in 60gm extra butter and an extra tablespoon of baking powder. that seems to have done the trick and the bread was lovely and moist! :D

I'm sure this is because I'm using gluten free flour.. but the result was great this time around.

 
At 9:21 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Julia, fantastic!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet