Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Challenge Book #5 - Italian Stallion

Some days you've just got to go for broke. Let it all hang out. You've just got to eat and eat big. There's no room for finesse, delicacy or sophistication.

This is the situation I found myself in last weekend. It was four in the afternoon. I had only had a small snack for dinner the night before. No breakfast and no lunch. In short, I was absolutely stark raving ravenous. And there I stood in the supermarket. I had not choice but to go for -
THE ITALIAN STALLION.



I have returned to this recipe again and again - completely fascinated by the name. But had never quite brought myself around to trying it. It's basically a cross between a pizza and a hot dog - a pot dizza, a hizza pog? To put it literally, a crusty bread roll filled with an italian sausage, sauteed mushrooms, capsicum, onions and garlic, tomato sauce, mozarella, oregano and for that extra touch a sprinkling of paprika. While I don't exactly qualify, it seems to me to be the perfect food for a blokey footy feast.

It's a cinch to pull together. Although it felt like it took forever. It was all I could do to take these photos. I was ready to gnaw my arm off.

It was worth the short wait though, because it really hit the spot. It was super filling and better still super tasty. I relished every bite.



The recipe came from this book - Simply Simpatico: A Taste of New Mexico from the Junior League of Alburquerque.



I was given this book by Chelsea from Tres Bon Vivant in a Blog by Mail event. All this time I have been thinking that the Junior League of Alburquerque were a kids sports association of some description - like AusKick or little Athletics or something like that. It was only when I looked them up for this post that I found out the Junior League is a women's organisation that does community work. Whooops. Who knew??

This is Book #5 in the KJ Wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. I have made quite a few delicious recipes from this book. Thanks again Chelsea and the Junior League of Alburquerque.

Italian Stallion
(adapted from Simply Simpatico)

6 mild Italian sausages
2 tbspn butter
2 cups sliced mushrooms
1 cup chopped green capsicum (pepper)
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 clove garlic, minced
6 large french rolls
pizza sauce
mozarella cheese, sliced
dried oregano
paprika

Simmer the sausages in water until cooked through and then split along their length.

Melt butter in a frying pan and saute the mushrooms, garlic, onions and capsicum.

Split the rolls and fill with a sausage and then the vegetables. Pour the pizza sauce over the top. Top with the slices of mozarella cheese. Sprinkle with oregano and paprika.

Heat under a grill until the cheese melts and begins to brown.

13 Comments:

At 7:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks great! Would it not be a piz dog? Hx

 
At 11:47 pm, Blogger Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, that would make my husband drool.

 
At 12:05 am, Blogger Veron said...

Well, I must say KJ that this looks delicious. I love everything that goes into it specially the sausage,mushroom,garlic....

 
At 3:27 am, Blogger Deborah said...

I think it sounds wonderful!

I actually grew up in New Mexico, so I bet there are quite a few recipes in that book that I would love!

 
At 6:05 pm, Blogger Cottage Smallholder said...

That looks absultely wonderful, KJ! It's made me hungry. Better start making breakfast...

 
At 4:59 am, Blogger Katie B. said...

What a genius idea - looks delicious!

 
At 7:02 am, Blogger kellypea said...

What a meal! I know my guys would love it and so would I, unfortunately. In fact I'm drooling here. Jeez. Funny finding an Italian Stallion (isn't that Sylvester Stallone?) in a cookbook from New Mexico. But who cares, right?

 
At 9:00 am, Blogger RecipeGirl said...

This sounds terrific and comforting! You can always completely trust JL cookbooks- they test the heck out of recipes before they are chosen to be published. I was actually in the San Diego JL and helped to put their cookbook together! You gotta get some more JL cookbooks!

 
At 9:21 am, Blogger Cynthia said...

A Hizza Pog, you have me laughing so hard :)

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

I'm laughing too with the play on words! I've got to give this a go my hubby would love this, but it's makiing me feel hubgry too!

Hope you were / are feeling ok, all that time without food!

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger aforkfulofspaghetti said...

While it looks great - in that OTT, I'm-gonna-stuff-myself-right-out kind of way - I just don't think I could bring myself to eat anything with that name!

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger KJ said...

Hi Helen, I like that!

Hi Patricia, it's definitely man food.

Hi Veron, thanks. It's very tasty.

Hi Deborah, thanks. It's a great book with a very different style of cooking than what we are used to here.

Hi Fiona, which must mean some of your home made bacon. I'm jealous.

Hi Katie, thanks.

Hi Kellypea. I think the name is a hoot!!! And you're right it's an odd place for it.

Hi recipegirl, thanks for the info. Maybe one day.

Hi Cynthia, your welcome.

Hi Kelly Jane. Thanks, I'm fine. It was just a mix of circumstances.

Hi forkful, that's exactly it. I understand about the name. I think its hilarious.

 
At 10:44 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

how could this not be good? there is no way.

i think i'd like my with hot sausage, on garlic bread...drool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet