Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Challenge Book #43 - Animal Crackers


These animal crackers are deadly. Not in the figurative sense of being starfish - a creative use of my meagre stock of cookie cutters. Creatures not exactly known for their bloodthirsty cunning and ferocity.

They are more in the line of being deadly to your waistline. Not only are they delicious, they are hard to keep track of being so small. It's all too easy to have just one more!


I was very surprised when I saw this recipe. I had no idea that animal crackers were sweet biscuits. Shirley Temple has a lot to answer for.

They are also very quick and easy to make. I left out the honey, not being a fan and all and added an extra few teaspoons of sugar. It seemed to work well.

Icing them is probably the time consuming task. But it's worth it. I thought they tasted almost exactly like chocolate wheatmeals.



This recipe is of course from Challenge Book #43 in the KJ wants a Kitchen Aid Challenge. This is the first recipe I have made from this book. The first of many for sure.

Animal Crackers
(adapted from Field Guide to Cookies)

1/2 cup rolled oats
2 tbspn light brown sugar
3/4 cup plain flour
1/4 tspn baking soda
1/4 tspn salt
1/4 cup softened unsalted butter
2 tspn honey
1/4 tspn vanilla
1/4 cup cold buttermilk

Grind the oats in a food processor until they are very fine.

Combine the oats, flour, sugar, baking soda and salt in a stand mixer and mix on a low speed to combine.

Add the butter in pieces and mix to a fine meal.

Add the liquids and mix to fully combined.

Turn the dough out onto plastic wrap, cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.

Roll the dough out to 1/8 inch. Cut into desired shapes with cutters. Place biscuits on a lined baking tray.

Bake in an oven preheated to 175C for 7-9 minutes. Leave to cool.

Melt together 6oz chocolate and 3 tspn butter. Spread over the biscuits and decorate as desired.

32 Comments:

At 11:53 pm, Blogger Valerie Harrison (bellini) said...

These do sound addictive.

 
At 1:36 am, Blogger grace said...

long time no see, kj! what adorable little crackers you've made. i enjoy animal crackers, and i'm sure it goes without saying that a little bath in chocolate makes them even better. :)

 
At 5:20 am, Anonymous Tamara said...

Only recently came across your blog so I have been catching up on your challenges. I'm feeling quite guilty about the number of books I have now, especially as I have just finished updating my cook book wish list for Christmas. Of all my books the one I think I would struggle the most with is Nobu - some fabulous recipes but Cambridgeshire is not exactly known for it's Abalone or Sea Urchin roe! Good luck with the rest of your challenges and it's so worth it for a kitchen aid, I would not be without mine now.

 
At 6:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is very interesting for me to read this post. Thanks for it. I like such topics and everything that is connected to them. I definitely want to read a bit more on that blog soon.

 
At 10:15 pm, Anonymous Automatic Gate said...

Love reading your post!

I really love crackers ever since I was a kid..

 
At 2:05 pm, Anonymous Jason said...

Wow this is awesome, perfect for the holidays!

 
At 6:24 am, Anonymous jacky said...

nice idea, i love cracker

 
At 12:59 am, Blogger Kelly-Jane said...

They look very good indeed. I have this book, I must use it!

 
At 8:49 am, Blogger Carolina Andrade said...

What wonderful blog, congratulations. Bring kisses from Brazil. Back often. Kisses. Carol

 
At 6:38 am, Blogger Paige said...

Tried these and loved them! Thanks!

 
At 10:38 am, Anonymous Debbie Bello said...

These do look deadly. Deadly to my diet and self control,that is!

 
At 1:49 am, Anonymous Christine said...

You are right! Yummy cookies are deadly...ruins my D! LOL. But my daughter loves these.

 
At 5:59 pm, Anonymous Joydeep said...

I loved the recipe and will try these "animal crackers" tonight.

 
At 4:20 am, Blogger Neo-Homesteading said...

they look so cute and tasty! I bet it really is hard to not eat all of them.

 
At 5:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried this recipe but I dont know where I had done some thing wrong, It started breaking automatically and was more softer...

 
At 1:21 am, Blogger Evelin said...

have you managed to get yourself a Kitchen Aid??
I would love one too but don't need one often enough so I will not give myself one,:-))
Evelin, The Netherlands

 
At 7:33 am, Anonymous Beta said...

Nice crackers.....

 
At 2:56 am, Blogger Megan @ Foodalution said...

I love tiny, decorative and petite.... addictive in every way! Super sweet photos... love the post!
Megan

 
At 3:18 pm, Anonymous Naomi said...

Great looking dish! Make me hungry!

 
At 12:05 pm, Anonymous Tapping Therapy said...

It sounded fun and easy to make! This will serve as my snack for thanksgiving. My niece would definitely these! She love stars.

 
At 9:52 pm, Blogger Ahmz said...

what a great perfect it looks delicious i will make them soon. thanks..

 
At 8:23 am, Anonymous Noobfoodie said...

this really makes me hungry i love crackers really,

 
At 5:27 pm, Anonymous Meghan said...

Happy new year to you and each of your readers!

 
At 10:37 pm, Anonymous Koek! said...

They LOOK dangerous!

 
At 2:35 pm, Anonymous Catering Sydney said...

its looking really good, star cookies woowww.

 
At 4:40 pm, Anonymous sewa mobil said...

Very nice, thanks for the information.

 
At 7:16 pm, Anonymous Anna said...

That sounds like a fantastic idea.

 
At 8:52 pm, Anonymous Maris (In Good Taste) said...

Fabulous recipe! Of course I love the chocolate on top! addictive-oh yes

 
At 8:58 pm, Anonymous greenbusinessonly said...

Thanks KJ for sharing this lovely recipe. I love the cute little shape of animal crackers and this one with oodles of chocolate icing is a sure mind blower.

 
At 1:35 am, Blogger series drama said...

Of the starfish back into my pocket to eat.

 
At 5:17 pm, Anonymous Candy Palmer said...

Hmmm... I'm planning to cook some cookies like these on my daughter's 5th birthday! :) Thanks for this mouth watery deadly cookies! Lol

 
At 6:38 pm, Anonymous Newschool said...

These animal Crackers looks delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to A Cracking Good Egg by Email
Australian Food Bloggers Ring
list >> random >> join
Site Ring from Bravenet